Life in 409

This blog is about my quest to declutter my apartment. It focuses on clutter, decluttering, and the endless quest to separate the junk from the important stuff - at home and in life.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Did you miss me?

I'm back! Not that I ever really went away. I just sort of crashed and burned. That is the problem I always seem to have with the decluttering.

Well, the new year brings all sorts of new years resolutions including my annual resolution to Do Better in terms of clutter, cleaning and so on. But for the first year, I didn't make myself a Big Promise. I am starting small and slow. So far it's frustrating. But it's only day 3.

FLYLADY says to give it 15 minutes a day. Some days even 15 minutes seems monumental. So I'm starting with 5 -- or rather, two times five. My plan is to spend 5 minutes a day in Flylady's "Zone" - she moves to a different zone each week. That's part one. And for me, I am focusing on a different room each month, so the other five minutes will be spent in my "room" - starting in January with the living room, which is so unlivable that we hardly ever go in there. This means my bedroom is the social hangout for children, tv watching, snacking, and apparently, painting with watercolors (thank God my rug is old and that my kids don't have oil paint).

The last two nights I've actually managed the 5-minute Zone and TEN minutes in the Room. It doesn't look like I've made much progress, but I have found the couch and also moved a pile of photo albums that's been on the floor since, like, August. I should have taken a "before" picture. Maybe tonight.

I'm also going to start a notebook of projects and tasks that I find as I work in each room... such as, fixing the living room VCR (which, when fed a tape, promptly unspools it and spews it out). And I plan to re-vamp my nonexistent morning routines.

If all of this sounds very familiar, it's because it probably is. But maybe this time it will work. I hope so. If I really stick to One Room A Month, things should be well in hand by the end of June. At which time I'm really going to need some room -- as we are expecting a third child!!!! Sure hope that nesting instinct kicks in soon...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home